The following is for informational purposes only. The links are to help guide you to additional information regarding the permits you can apply for with this registration.You may apply for the following:
- Sales and/or use tax
- Income tax withholding
- Unemployment insurance
- Boise, Pocatello-Chubbuck, or Idaho Falls Auditorium District tax
- Travel and convention tax
- Workers' compensation insurance
If you have a workers' compensation policy with a third-party insurance provider, you will also be notifying the Idaho Industrial Commission of that policy.You can also:
- Apply for an additional permit
- Update your legal business name
- Change your assumed business name, if it has been updated with the Idaho Secretary of State
- Add or change a business location
- Add or remove partners, shareholders, or managing members
Certain types of businesses may be required to register with other state and local agencies as well. You may wish to visit https://idahobizhelp.idaho.gov/ for additional information.
Before opening a business in Idaho, the owner should register the business with the Idaho Secretary of State. For more information, please call (208) 334-2301 or visit their website at http://www.sos.idaho.gov/.
If the business will have employees, the business must have a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). The EIN can be obtained by calling (800) 829-4933 or by visiting the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/employer-id-numbers-eins.
If you are interested in attending a Business Basics class in your area, sign up today at https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1132.cfm. This class is FREE and covers topics such as income tax withholding, sales and use taxes, and exemptions pertaining to the Idaho State Tax Commission permits.